Published: Tuesday, 30 June 2009 00:00
The 2nd Meeting of the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources annual session was held at Efalfal Resort, Pango from the 31st of June to the 3rd of July 2009.
The meeting was attended by the former honourable Minister Harry Iauko, former First Political Advisor to the Minister Mr Baptiste Firiam, the Director General, Directors and Senior Officials working within the Ministry with three main objectives:
- Review the Corporate Plan for the period 2009-2011
- Review the Business Plan for 2009 and 2010.
- Review of the MoL Budget of 2010.
Other events of note that were discussed include:
- Updates of events since the first retreat in 2008 such as new appointments and the establishment of new departmental structures.
- The amalgamation of the Mines and Minerals section and the Energy Unit to become a Department.
- The Customary Land Tribunal Section has been given approval by the Council of Minister to relocate to the Ministry of Justice.
- The approval for the Geohazards Section to relocate to the Ministry of Public Utilities.
- The Vanuatu Short Term Land reform Initiative Project has continued to be funded with the assistance of AusAID.
- The implementation of a 2 year program, to work on Protected Areas by the Environment Department.
- The implementation of a 4 year project, the Landholders Conservation Initiatives Project, by the Environment Department to promote Community Conservation Areas.
- The Rural Water Supply Section has decided to focus on 5 islands where they will extend and improve the Water Supplies of these Islands being Malo, Epi, Ambae, Pentecost and Santo.